Website United Way of Waco-McLennan County
Local Giving. Local Impact.
POSITION: Senior Director of Resource Development & External Affairs
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
The Senior Director (director) provides leadership, strategic vision, and direction in the areas of resource development, communications, and volunteer engagement. S/he, in partnership with the CEO, Board and staff, will have the opportunity to strengthen United Way of Waco-McLennan County’s (UWWMC) fundraising culture and results, brand awareness, and value proposition.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & QUALITIES
UWWMC is seeking a senior professional who will lead both the art and the science of fundraising and the integration of effective communication to inspire giving. The ideal candidate is a results-driven leader with an understanding of the local community, the business environment and the United Way network. S/he has a comprehensive focus on gaining the unrestricted resources needed to support our mission and strategic objectives. The director is a relationship builder who is adept at building and maintaining positive and productive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders. S/he is an effective communicator and can lead efforts to articulate UWWMC’s vision, mission, and values in a way that inspires higher levels of trust and giving.
S/he works collaboratively with the CEO, the Senior Director of Impact (Director) & Engagement, and the Senior Director of Finance and Administration. S/he is the primary liaison to the Board Chair of the Resource Development Committee. S/he is the primary liaison with workplace campaigns and individual donors.
Resource Development-Ongoing Responsibilities
The director will be responsible for increasing revenue from workplace campaigns, individual and major gifts, affinity group fundraising, and identifying and securing corporate grants.
· Develop and oversee the analysis and growth strategy for UWWMC’s annual workplace campaign by consistently nurturing existing relationships and identifying opportunities to cultivate new relationships
· Lead Loaned Executives and possibly other affinity groups, with a consistent focus on nurturing and growing memberships and engagement as brand ambassadors, advocates and fundraisers
· With the Resource Development Committee Chair and development staff, populate and guide the annual work of the volunteer committee leading the workplace campaign efforts
· Developing a specific strategy for additional revenue streams to supplement and grow annual revenue results (i.e. additional affinity groups, corporate and foundation grants and Special Impact Funds)
· In collaboration with the Resource Development Committee Chair, key Board Leaders and the CEO, establishing the strategy and framework for what will be a Loaned Executive Committee &/or Campaign Advisory Board
· Serve as project lead for the execution of special events such as Community Breakfast and Campaign Kick-off
· Lead the development of all UWWMC marketing materials, social media, website, and quarterly e-newsletter
· Proactively seek opportunities to increase awareness for UWWMC through a variety of communication methodologies including, but not limited to, speaking engagements, print, and broadcast media
· Continuously focus on enhancing UWWMC’s external messaging, specifically in the first year by working closely with other staff and stakeholders to develop a Comprehensive Communication Strategy & Plan
· Conduct annual Communication Training for Staff and Volunteers
Volunteer Engagement-Ongoing Responsibilities
The director will work collaboratively with the internal team to design and implement compelling annual volunteer opportunities that align with UWWMC’s strategic plan.
· Develop and manage the Loaned Executive Program with the goals to:
o Bring together a group of up and coming professionals to learn about the work of our organization and funded partners
o Help them identify ways to include a strong giving mentality in their corporate culture
o Provide opportunity for professional skillset development
o Re-establish UWWMC as the link between the corporate and non-profit worlds
· Create a diverse army of advocates to serve as UWWMC ambassadors across all the major business sectors
· Assess UWWMC’s capacity for increased local volunteer engagement opportunities and United Way Worldwide’s resources associated with volunteerism to advise the staff and Board on the appropriate opportunities for UWWMC
· Collaboratively define the scope and responsibility for UWWMC’s on-going volunteer engagement
The director will supervise Resource Development & Communication staff as growth allows.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
· 5 years as senior fundraising staff member or senior staff in a related field such as Public Relations, Communications, Community Relations, Account Development, Sales & Marketing
· Must have experience planning for and working externally to build relationships, with a high preference for work at the C-suite level
· Must possess knowledge and ability to use analytics to map relationships, report results, and define targets
· Budget accountability (top & bottom-line)
· Advanced presentation, analytical, and strategic planning skills
· Advanced volunteer management experience
· Experience with special event planning and execution
· Bachelor’s Degree
Salary Range: $55,000 – 70,000 annually
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should email a resume and a cover letter to: Karenbrown@unitedwaywaco.org. Please list the subject line as: Senior Director
· Applications that do not meet the Basic Qualifications & Experience will not be considered
· Resumes that do not include a Cover Letter will not be considered.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com