Website City of Waco
Metropolitan Planning Organization Engagement Specialist – Bilingual Required (Spanish)
City of Waco
Salary: $22.79 Hourly
Job Number: 2022-01127
Location: Waco, TX
Department: Development Services
Job Type: Full Time
Minimum salary starting at $22.79 and depends on experience
This position requires the ability to read, write, and speak Spanish fluently.
Under general supervision, the Engagement Specialist for Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) provides assistance in developing and implementing public involvement strategies, to meet local, state, and federal public involvement requirements, including Environmental Justice and Title VI, for the Waco Metropolitan Planning Organization. The incumbent plans, organizes, integrates, and executes assigned marketing, public involvement, or community outreach, assists in the writing production of a wide variety of marketing and public involvement materials, serves as a liaison with external and internal transportation stakeholders, and assists in routine office operations. In addition, the position holder functions as the primary meeting coordinator for the MPO’s Boards and Committees, and functions as both Spanish Translator and Interpreter of the organization.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge and skills. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Coordinates all MPO meetings, such as monthly Policy Board, Technical Committee and Work Group meetings. Manage all meeting preparation and implementation, such as meeting room reservations and day-of coordination and set up, public and legal noticing, press releases, assembling agendas and meeting packets, quorum count, and other requirements described in the MPO’s Public Participation Plan (PPP) and to meet the Texas Open Meetings Act.
• Takes ownership of routine MPO office tasks and assist the staff in administrative workflow. Assists the MPO Director with other meeting-related tasks as assigned.
• Assists the MPO Director with administrative duties including tasks associated with Board, Committee, and Work Group meetings and ongoing MPO programs
• Administers, reviews, and revises the Waco MPO’s public involvement documents such as the PPP and Title VI Plan to ensure conformance with MPO policies and local, state and federal requirements.
• Executes public involvement strategies described in the PPP for all MPO activities, including developing and tracking public comment timelines, advertising, meeting coordination and implementation, and development of meeting materials.
• Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with MPO member jurisdictions, partners, and stakeholders, including environmental justice populations.
• Writes/translates interesting and effective press releases, newsletter stories, presentations, and media kits in English and Spanish for internal and external audiences.
• Translates other MPO documents from English to Spanish and writes Executive Summaries in Spanish as needed. Serves as a liaison for communication between the organization and Spanish-speaking citizens.
• Maintains the MPO contact databases for Board and committee members and stakeholders.
• Maintains the MPO website, and develop and manage MPO social media outlets, including creating original content in English and Spanish in accordance with City of Waco policies and current best practices.
• Represents the Waco MPO in a wide variety of public interactions and community events to promote its services and products or to serve as a liaison with a variety of civic and community organizations.
• Identifies opportunities and develops strategies to expand and improve outreach to MPO stakeholders in English and Spanish, including environmental justice populations.
• Tracks and archives media coverage relevant to MPO work and updating staff of such media coverage on a regular basis.
• May be required to respond afterhours, including holidays and weekends, in the event of a departmental or City-wide emergency.
• Supports the relationship between the City of Waco and the general public by demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with citizens, visitors and City staff; maintains confidentiality of work-related issues and City information.
• Performs other related and assigned duties as required.
• Driving is essential.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, Journalism, English, Spanish, or related field
• One year of experience in marketing, public information, communications, or community outreach
• OR an equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Bilingual in English/Spanish is required; able to speak, read and write English and Spanish fluently
• Must possess a valid Texas Driver’s License
• Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
• The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision:
• The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
• The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position:
• Work is performed primarily in an office setting or well-lit, temperature-controlled working environment.
EEO StatementThe City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/3289665
The City of Waco is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing fair and equal treatment of all applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
To apply for this job please visit apptrkr.com.